Saturday 16 April 2011

Book Review: Finding Sky by Joss Stirling

Goodreads Summary:

When Sky catches a glimpse of Zed for the first time, lounging against his motorbike at school, she is drawn to him just like every other girl in Wickenridge. But Zed sees something special in her that the other girls don't have. Zed tells her they are both Savants - people with special powers like telepathy and the ability to see into the future. Not only that, she is a Savant too, and his soulfinder - meant to be together.

When a soulfinder speaks telepathically to her partner, it's like all the lights coming on in a building. You lit me up like Vegas. But for Sky it's just not that easy - she's a mystery to herself, haunted by nightmares from her past before she was adopted, and riddled with doubt and insecurity. Just when Sky is slowly coming round to the idea of being with Zed she is kidnapped by a family of criminal Savants. In a chilling twist, Sky and Zed's relationship is put to the ultimate test and the fate of those she loves lie in Sky's hands. Will Sky have the strength to embrace her power and be brave enough to control her own destiny, or will the dark demons of her past prevent her from realising her true potential?

My Review:

I picked up this book in my local Tescos, and having not heard of it or anything about it, I started it with an open mind. The blurb peaked my interest immediately- English girl moves to an American high school and falls for a bad boy who she can talk to in her mind. Sounds great, right? So why did this book fall a little flat for me?

Sky was an interesting character. She can't remember anything from before she was 10. She doesn't even remember her name! That's gotta be really frustrating but she's a pretty grounded and normal teenage girl, if a bit shy and un-trusting. I felt that she really came into herself throughout the book and I was really happy for her when she found out some things about her past.

Zed, and the whole of the Benedict family for that matter, were totally charming! I thought that Zed was a really cute character. He cared alot about Sky and I thought they had a really sweet romance, but I don't think it was as intense and sizzling as we were promised on the blurb. Though, I was glad that Sky didn't just except that an almost stranger was telling her that she was his kind of soulmate and she didn't just fall into his arms straight away- he had to prove it! Zed's character totally changed overnight when he met Sky due to her being his Soul Finder, and I was really interested to learn the history behind soul finders and Savants but it never happened! I was so shocked as to how little was explained about Savants and it left me totally confused. Maybe more explanation will come in the sequel about Yves?

One thing I did like was how the characters actually had a sense of humour and there were a lot of fun scenes in the book, something that can be quite lacking in the paranormal genre! Both Sky and Zed made me laugh out loud, particulary Sky's narration at the beginning of the book. Oh, and another thing I enjoyed was how when Sky couldn't handle things in real life she imagined them as pages on comic books. I really liked that quirk of hers!

One thing I didn't believe is how much her parents left her alone! They let her stay with a family who they had only met once for a over a week in a relatively new town to them. I don't think most parents would be too happy about that, but that fact that they had adopted Sky as a traumatised 10 year old should make them worry even more about her wellbeing. They always seemed to be out when she was at home which was a little too convenient!

Overall, while I did enjoy reading Finding Sky and I can see why some people love it, for me it was just an ok read. I probably won't be reading it again but it was a quick read and I might pick up the sequel to see where the story goes.

Oh, and kind of off topic but Sky moved to Colorado from Richmond-Upon-Thames which is fairly close to where I live! I just thought that was kind of cool as I love reading about people/places near me in books!

Rating: B-
Cover: C

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...