Sunday 1 January 2012

Book Review: Amaranthine by Leah Crichton

Goodreads Summary:
Sixteen year-old Ireland Brady is sure she’s losing her mind.

After a horrific car accident leaves her barely clinging to life, she wakes from a coma with a renewed sense of gratitude to a world more surreal than she could have imagined, a world which includes Orion Alexander.


Darkly handsome, Orion is cool and confident and has his sights set on her—something she’s never experienced—and she finds herself falling hopelessly in love. But when Orion’s betrayal sends her straight into the arms of his rival, Damien, things go from bad to worse.

Despite Orion’s warnings, Ireland is attracted to Damien. He’s strong and protective, and harbors an intense dislike for Orion, which makes him… perfect.

But Damien is not one to be crossed.

When all the secrets are revealed, will Ireland trust the boy who broke her heart? Or is she doomed to suffer a fate worse than death?


My Review:

I started reading Amaranthine with no idea what it was about except for the mysterious summary from Goodreads. I don't want to give away any spoilers because this is one of those books that has a lot of 'oooh!!' mind blowing moments when you finally find out what's going on.

We meet Ireland Brady (can I just say I love that name?!) on the way to her new home on the other side of the country. She's hating her parents for forcing her to move and her bookworm brother is driving her mad with his optomistic attitude. Then the weather gets bad and they're in a car crash which leaves Ireland near death. When they finally arrive at their new house and Ireland goes to her new school, she meets a gorgeous boy who can't seem to leave her alone. But is he all he seems?

I had a bit of a love-hate relationship with Ireland. At the beginning of the book, she's this strong, funny, no nonsense girl who I personally wouldn't want to cross but who is perfect as our protaganist. She meets Orion and they have this witty banter that I just LOVE even if Ireland is a bit stuttery (I would be too, what with Orion's "onyx hair" and "aqua eyes") but then what happened, Leah Crichton, what happened? Your awesome character turned into a needy damsel in distress! Okay, maybe I'm being a bit harsh but I didn't love her so much in the middle. When Orion hurts her she justs hops into a car late at night with a stranger that people warn her about. Now, I love a bad boy but Damien is just plain creepy.

I wanted to shake her and tell her to sort her head out and luckily by the last quarter of the book she's back to her badass self!

The story was relatively unique and one thing I really loved about this book is how I didn't see anything coming and I never knew what was going to happen next. The second half of the book was so different to the first and it was such a rollercoaster ride that when I reached the last page I
needed a cup of tea and a sit down!


The romance between Ireland and Orion was HOT and ladies, he's a pretty swoonworthy book crush. Orion was funny and teased Ireland (in a good way) and he was such a breath of fresh air. Even Ireland's mum was flirting with him!

Ireland's family were great. They were a big part of the story and were well written and realistic, as were Orion's group of friends.

Amaranthine was a fast-paced enjoyable read that made me laugh and maybe even cry a little, so definitely pick up a copy if you can!

Rating: A
Cover: B (love the top half with the girl and her beautiful hair!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...